Private citizen and businessman George H. Morrill hired Joseph Neal to construct a library in Norwood that was nearly a duplicate of the public library in Augusta, Maine - the Lithgow Library and Reading Room, finished in 1896.
The formal invitation to the dedication of the Morrill Memorial Library, named after Sara Bond Morrill, in January 1898. Sara Bond Morrill died at the age of 23 of typhoid in 1895. George H. Morrill commissioned the library and he and his wife then gave the library to the town, paid in full with no commitments.
Morrill Memorial Library and surrounding buildings on a postcard of the era.
Beacon Hill - Beacon Street to the East, Walpole Street to the South.
A postcard of Beacon Hill - the library and surrounding buildings.