Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Social Circulating Library of South Dedham (Norwood) First Library

The Register of the Proprietors of the Social Circulation Library 1790-1838 The 1812 will of Jabez Chickering leaving the bookcase and books of the Social Circulating Library of South Dedham (Norwood) to the Town of Norwood as the Norwood Library.
Original Library Bookcase The Library Bookcase

Pamphlet describing the Bookcase

The Morrill Memorial Library is Built and Dedicated

Private citizen and businessman George H. Morrill hired Joseph Neal to construct a library in Norwood that was nearly a duplicate of the public library in Augusta, Maine - the Lithgow Library and Reading Room, finished in 1896.


The formal invitation to the dedication of the Morrill Memorial Library, named after Sara Bond Morrill, in January 1898. Sara Bond Morrill died at the age of 23 of typhoid in 1895. George H. Morrill commissioned the library and he and his wife then gave the library to the town, paid in full with no commitments.
Morrill Memorial Library and surrounding buildings on a postcard of the era.
Beacon Hill - Beacon Street to the East, Walpole Street to the South.
A postcard of Beacon Hill - the library and surrounding buildings.

George H. Morrill and Sara Bond Morrill


Early Years of the Morrill Memorial Library


Postcard
Grown-out trees
Rear views
Postcard
Parade group in front

Junior Department 20th Century





Library Patrons and Staff in the 20th Century

Charging Desk - to the left of Director's Office
Group of citizens in the Reading Room
Library Staff 1947

Reading Room 20th Century